Monday, July 15, 2013

My Week as a Mama ( or Lessons of a Foster Mama: Part 2)

We said that once we started the adoption process that we were finished with the foster care business. We told our agency not to call us unless they had an emergency.

Well, last Monday, they must have had an emergency because as I type this, I have a two month old sleeping on my chest. He is a tiny little thing who just wants cuddles [[which I am more than happy to provide!]] He is only with us for 8 days, so we're doing our best to pour as much love into the little guy as we can.

Here are some things that I've learned in my short time with him:

{1} It is 100% okay [[and as it turns out very much expected]] to ask others for help! I was afraid that admitting that I needed help was admitting defeat and pretty much saying that I'm too much of a wimp for motherhood. But the truth of the matter is that you need people to help you do things for the first few days [[Weeks? Months?]] It doesn't mean that you're weak, it means that you are very, very wise.

{2} Let others hold the baby. I think that I have developed carpal tunnel syndrome from too many snuggles!!

{3} Once you get the "mama rock" down, you may, awkwardly, find yourself doing it even if you're not holding the baby. Yesterday at church, I had passed Little Dude off to someone else and was talking to another friend when I noticed myself swaying/bouncing...I even had my arms crossed as though there was still a babe there...I hope this isn't a lasting effect...

{4} You may also develop other strange habits.  I have recently started sleep walking. Josh was taking his nightly shift so I was in our bedroom getting in a good solid 4 hours. I don't know if I actually heard Little Dude crying or if it was in my dream, but I woke up in my closet...I remember being extremely confused as to why there were clothes in my kitchen and why I, for the life of me, couldn't find the bottles. Another night, I woke up to find myself frantically searching the bed covers because I couldn't find the baby and was afraid I had smothered him.[[He was fine + on the complete opposite end of the house...]]

{5} It is awesome when babies smile at you, even if it's just from gas...Although Little Dude smiled at me all morning and he didn't even have gas! So that was even more exciting!

I'm really looking forward to becoming a full time mama at some point, but until then, this has been a fantastic learning experience.


What are some things that you learned when you first became a mama? Did you develop any strange habits?



No comments:

Post a Comment